Saturday, September 29, 2007

Her First Birthday

Yes. I am finally going to post pictures and tell you about her birthday.

The actual day of we were at my cousin's wedding, so she had fun with grandpa and grandma. (I was only kinda sad that I wasn't with her - not that she remembers. And I knew they would shower her with love on her special day.)

We had her little shindig on Labor Day. I meant it to be simple and informal, with just immediate family, but because it was Labor Day the extended clan was over. I didn't mind that at all, but I didn't want them to feel they had to bring gifts. They did anyway. It just shows how the family loves everyone of us, even as we get more and more removed. (BTW, does anyone understand the whole great-aunt, cousin-once-removed, 2nd-cousin thing?) Charis had so many gifts and frankly she wasn't quite into them. While I am proud she has learned to be content with one toy for a while, it made it difficult to keep the gift opening going when she wasn't really paying attention.


Then we tried the cake. We set it up outside, but the mesquitos were HORRIBLE, so after two minutes we were back inside. Charis was not interested in her cake. This was her first real taste of processed sugar and she didn't want it. Grant it, the frosting was really sweet. She wouldn't play in it either. (See we taught her so well - "don't play with your food," "you don't need sugar," "be content with the toy you have"...) She eventually ate a little cake, but it wasn't the glorious and messy feast that I was hoping for.


All in all, it was fun yet stressful day. I will leave you with some pictures of her enjoying the cake batter I prepared earlier that day. (At least she kinda likes sugar!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics! I miss that girl and I really want to see her walk! Hope the preg is going well, it'll be great to see charis with a sibling:)

Eryka said...

Wow! She changes so much in just a few months! She looks like a completely different child. I'm glad you had a good birthday party with her. Lots of love!

Josh Huff said...

I guess Charis is truly a Huff, not a Shumaker. Shumakers love sweets and Huffs love meat and potatoes. You should see here with some Italian Beef...

Chicago Momma said...

Hey Moriah! It's your old friend Kristin Brennan (now Bartholomew) from FVBC.... HOW'S IT GOING??? I just found Josh on Facebook then I saw his blog tonight... then I saw you're preggo again! I am also going to have a little bundle of joy next March. I am 15 weeks and can relate to the puking :( I am sick ALL THE TIME! I am hoping I am getting toward the end since I am almost 4 months now. How far are you? How exciting! Your little girl is so beautiful! I am sure we will stop by FVBC for Christmas and we can see all you guys! Hopefully we'll be around sooner than that. Until then take care!

Chicago Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
All Because a Boy Met a Girl said...

Um, I know I am supposed to say how cute my niece is, but Riah, even with the hat on, you look great in these pictures!!!!!

That's all. Kudos to you pretty girl.

Talitha said...

Ok... I love you a million years and yes, my niece is BEAUTIFUL, and yes, I am very sad I missed her 1 year party! Getting on to the important things... UPDATE ALREADY! I know you get angry when people say that and that I talk to you all the time (except when we play phone tag forever!) but I haven't SEEN my niece or sister in 5 weeks! I need some more updated pictures! These are from the last time I saw my baby girl! ANGRYFACE... GRRRR!

Ok I love you lady buh-bye! See you in a weekish!