Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Life at the Huffs

I figure the easiest way to tell you what is going on is through pictures. It is more for me to remember for the future. And it is more interesting for you...
Charis and I have had a lot of fun together recently. I have been taking advantage of my one-on-one time with her. She is so much fun! But you will see more of that below.

Charis and Daddy enjoying her new big girl bed. (Check out the video below.)
We love to prop Selah up on the pillows on our bed and cover her with our blankets. It makes her look so little and cute. This picture is some quality time that Josh had with her. We have found that he tends to take care of Charis and I take care of Selah, mostly because I HAVE to take care of Selah. We are trying to make sure we switch often.
Charis somewhere learned to do this position and this face. We call it her "Pose." She can do it on demand, so make sure to ask her to do it for you.

If Charis didn't have her beautiful curls and had mommy's stick straight hair, it would be this long. As most of the pictures show, it looks like her hair only comes to her shoulders.
Check her out in this outfit! She looks so grown up! Grace we love the boots!

Selah is so much fun. She is starting to do some of the cutest things. I had to blog and empty the camera because our stick was full to make room to show you guys. Next time I blog you will see her smile and coo. She recognizes me now!

I don't love the flash, but she is really cute. Selah is doing a great job with her schedule. She only feeds once at night (goes six hours and then another four to start the day!). We are working on getting her to nap well during the day. It is getting better.

This is Josh's OCD creation. After we laid Charis down for bed he did not come sit by me on the couch. He sat on the floor and dumped out Charis's blocks and Little People. His explanation, "Charis always tears apart whatever I start to create with her toys, so I decided to do it now when she can't tear it apart." Wow. He is so cute.

To have the crib cleared for Selah we moved Charis to her Big Girl Bed! She is doing a great job in there and doesn't crawl out. (However, she did once and I woke up to find her not only out of her bed but in the bathroom because she heard daddy taking a shower.)


This is some good sister "fun".

Selah is so cute in here. I love that she has found her hands to suck on. And Charis makes me laugh at how she wants the camera on her!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, they are so cute! Do you have myspace? I have a myspace that I put up pictures and video of Izzy.

graceling said...

That is soooo cute! Love those boots!

Anonymous said...

The senate made May 2008 national cystic fibrosis awareness month. I am going to post Izzy's (my 7 week old baby that is Charis and Selah's 2nd cousin) story here. If you could pass it on to everyone you know, we would appreciate it. They are getting really close to a cure and the more people that know about the disease the easier it will be to raise funds. Thanks in advance to everyone.

CF is a genetic disease that is life shortening. It currently effect about 30,000 people in the US and 70,000 worldwide. The disease is different in different people but mainly causes sticky mucus to build up in the lungs and other organs. For more information on CF in general you can visit, www.cff.org.
For Izzy having CF means that she has to take pills before everything she eats. I have to open up enzyme capsules and put them in applesauce and feed them to her before all her feedings and if she eats for over an hour I have to give her more. So she is taking 8 to 12 pills a day. Also, each morning I have to give her a mL of vitamins A,D,E,B and K with some iron. We have to closely monitor her weight and add powder formula to my pumped breast milk to make it higher in calories. She is 7 weeks old and only weighs 7lbs 11oz and she weighed 6lbs 5oz when she was born. Also, we have to give her a 1/4 tsp of salt each day b/c she loses so much through her sweat. We also have to apply diaper rash cream and Vaseline at each changing b/c the enzymes make her more prone to diaper rashes. Finally, we have to do chest physical therapy 4 times a day 30 minutes at a time that requires clapping on her chest with a cup to break up the sticky mucus in her lungs so she can cough it up. When she is older (around 24 months old) we will buy a vest that does the CPT for her and she will also have to do nebulizers 2 times a day.
She has to go to a special clinic for CF every couple of weeks now and if she does well eventually every 3 months for blood work, throat cultures, and x-rays. Also, we had to hospitalize her and give her antibiotics for 48 hours when she got a cold last week. She is prone to lung infections and they are highly damaging to CFers so I cannot take her out to the store or visiting or really anywhere until her immune system matures (around 12 months old) and then I will still need to be very discerning about where we go. I have to carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere (there is now one is each room of my house) also we have to have face masks and avoid sick people like the plague. Germs are her enemy.
Right now the median life expectancy age for someone with CF is 37 years old. But hopefully by being vigilant and taking good care of her she will live longer. Also, there is always hope for a cure.
Please feel free to email me for more information on CF or just to see pictures of Izzy. My email address is s.deedra@yahoo.com.

Love,
Deedra and Isabel Smith

All Because a Boy Met a Girl said...

This makes me so excited to have our next child! I love the way siblings learn to love one another, it's amzing!

Eryka said...

I doubt I tell you enough...You have ADORABLE children.