Monday, January 15, 2007

Resolutions

So did any of you make any New Years resolutions this year? I did.

I have committed to being in the Word everyday this year. I made this resolution a couple years ago and I did it everyday that year except for one day, but I didn't commit to it the following year so I began to slack off. (Yes, I know that was a run on sentance Eryka.) I have found in the two plus years I have been married it is hard to get to my devotions each day. Maybe because I don't have a single spot in the house that is just mine, like my bedroom that I would escape to when I lived at my parents. Or maybe I feel that when Josh is home I want to spend time with him so try to fit it in elsewhere during my busy day. Or maybe I just didn't make it a priority so it didn't get done.
I have missed spending time in the Word. I hate walking into church knowing that I have not read a single thing in the Bible since last week. It is so easy for me to do the good Christian thing, but where is the fire, passion and true reason behind it. I will talk to God in quick prayers during the week, but yet I feel like I am just dropping in quick to ask for a favor before I go rushing out again.
But this year has been already been great. Both Josh and I have committed to it and we are using the Mcheyne Plan. Basically you read through the OT once and the NT twice. It is about 4 chapters a day. Two you read by yourself and two you read as a family. It is great accountability and helpful being able to bounce off of Josh the passage I read for the day.
But what I really love is that my passion for the Lord is growing again. The light that was barely flickering is warming once more. It is so good to be back in His presence again.

I don't know if you guys made any resolutions, but I pray that growing in your relationship with God will be a priority this year.

On a side note, we have also bought an elliptical and tons of health food snacks to replace my junk food binges. Working out is going great, but giving up the yummy food for some fake "this-really-tastes-just-the-same" junk is not fully working. (I have frozen grapes in my freezer - frozen grapes!) Lets hope that I can get my post-baby, stretch-marked, flabby body back to where it once was, or better. (I will not be the ugly sister - not that I have to be prettier, just equal to you two!) Love you guys!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Riah! You are not the ugly sister!!!!! You are the beautiful blonde, bombshell with the cutest baby ever sister! And good for you and Josh on reading the Word. That is amazing and I hope you guys can stick to it... love you!

Eryka said...

I've never been really good at New Year's resolutions. As in I don't think I have ever kept one. I think the trick is to make your resolution part of your daily life so that the following year it doesnt have to be a resolution. I'm really proud of you for sticking to this one. I know you have the strength to do it! You inspire me and I will think on what I can do, what I can change in my life to make me a better person! GO RIAH!!

graceling said...

I didn't make any resolutions this year... but I never do anyway. Winter is not a good season for me to try to start something new.

But I am glad you and Josh are taking the time to be in the Word individually and as a family. You guys are an inspiration.

As for getting in shape: you aren't the ugly sister. There are no ugly sisters. And a post-baby body takes time! Not to mention that after you've had a baby, some things are just not ever going to be the same. I know this. Just set realistic expectations for yourself. And don't over-do it (your milk supply might go down if you do.)

As for snacks, one of the healthiest that I love is the 100 calorie packs of South Beach crackers (good source of fiber!) and an individual serving of low fat cheese (made with 2% milk, an excellent source of calcium and some protien to boot!) For me, the problem is portion control, so when I eat yummy snacks with portion control built in, I win!

Also, yummy fresh fruit. I had a way-delicious navel orange the other day, and I have been craving them since. Mmm!

How are the frozen grapes?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Grace was absolutely great in her responce! I can't top that!

But I do have to convict Riah of one thing:
I am sure you are aware we all love you and think you are Gorgeous! If not, YOU ARE!!!! You are one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and out. So does your husband. And by saying things like that you are saying bad things about your husband's wife, and disrespecting him. Your Mom told me that once, and it's a great understanding to live by. Don't disrespect your husband's wife, she is very important and special to him. And he holds her in high esteem.

I love you and I am praying for you. I know that raod back from preggersville is hard, and I am praying for God to help you in any way.

Love You,