Friday, July 13, 2007

Read Your Bible, Pray Everyday....

And You'll Grow, Grow, Grow!
So I have recently been struggling staying in the Word everyday (probably due to my previous two posts). And if I was in the Word it was brief and just "check" on my checklist. I have really noticed the change in me without it (again note my reaction in the previous posts). So as my sin nature has been raging recently I determined to not only get in the Word but also get in prayer.
Prayer has never been my strong point. I definitely can do it without ceasing when I have a trial going on, but in everyday life I certainly lack. A few years ago I had a prayer journal and it really encouraged me and helped me stay focused. So I dug it out this week and touched it up to fit my life now and then let it sit on my shelf for a couple days. (Yes, I am pathetic.)
But I finally pulled it out yesterday and I was so blessed with my time with the Lord. I easily spent twenty minutes in focused prayer and that is a small miracle in itself. And I also got up early and spent even more time with the Lord today. I was so encouraged and refreshed and I can't wait until tomorrow!
(I am not looking for a pat on the back for doing this, but I hope this encourages you and spurns you on to meet with God. If any of you want the specifics of what I have in my journal - ACTS, songs, scripture, God's names and attributes, writing journal to reflect on what I have read - let me know.)

1 comment:

Eryka said...

Ok, Mori, this is crazy. Or maybe in actuality...God is really Awesome. (I bet its the second one). So I just now at 1:00 am (stayed up late to read Harry Potter) read your post for the first time. And you will never believe what I did today. I bought a prayer journal. I've never prayer journaled, or had a spiritual journal, or even thought about journaling about God, but I was in Barnes and Noble this evening with Big Josh's family and his mom and I were discussing how its completely appropriate to have journals for different things. (I guess some men like Josh and her husband don't understand this) I mentioned I wanted to separate my God-inspired thoughts from my sad/angry/contemplative thoughts. She said she had a spiritual journal where she reflects on what she reads. So I bought one. Without much thought, I bought one. Its pink with a firecracker on it. And its 100% dedicated to God's Word. I'm really excited to dive in. So now, can you call me and tell me how you organize yours, because my next big hurdle (and you can totally relate because you are anal about this too) is how to ORGANIZE it! Please share your thoughts.